Thursday, November 13, 2008

It's finally time for the final post.
As I looked through my very first post, I realised I mentioned alot about the importance of effective communication in our daily lives as well as in our workplace. After this course, I've realised that effective communication is EVEN more important and valuable then I had expected it to be. This is because effective communication is something that not everyone is capable of, and really, to me, this just makes effective communication more valuable than ever!

As important as effective communication may be, many people (including myself) are guilty of being ineffective communicators at times.
I've always thought that it shouldn't be too difficult to communicate effectively, because most of the time, my friends are able to get what I am saying! However, along the course of this module, I've realised that really, communicating well is not as easy as it seems!

There are many different forms of communication, and through this module I've found out that one of my major weaknesses lies in my oral presentation. As I've mentioned earlier in one of my previous posts, I tend to feel really awkward presenting in front of a crowd, not knowing how my posture should be like and what to do with my free hands. However, with the help of my groupmates and the feedbacks recevied from them during our many many practices, I feel that I've improved quite a fair bit (as compared to the last time I did a formal presentation, which was in JC2!). Though still not a perfect presenter, I am satisfied enough!
Therefore, learning how to be a good presenter is one of the most valuable things that I have gained in this module. It is also a very useful skill because it is something that I would definitely need to apply when I enter the workforce!

Another aspect of the course which I really find enriching is the proper construction of a professional resume and cover letter. I know the importance of a good resume but never really knew how to construct a good one. Hence, I usually relied on my friends' and relatives' resumes as templates! Now that I know how to construct a personalized professional resume, one which is specifically tailored just for me, I definitely feel more confident in applying for internships!

To sum it up, this module is undeniably a very useful one. However, it has its own share of downsides. The heavy workload can sometimes get frustrating. There is always an assignment due (ie, blogpost) every week! Nonetheless, taking up this course is something that I will not regret, because the skills learned will remain for life.

6 comments:

Shaun Ler said...

Hey Joyce! Similarly, I feel that the oral presentation is also one of my major weaknesses. However, I overcame this problem by presenting in front of a mirror over and over again and to ensure that I take note of my body language as well as my eye contact. Another good way to simulate the actual presentation is to present in front of your friends or family and to get them to comment on your performance.

Another thing that I learnt from this experience is that memorizing a pre-written speech is not an effective way to practice for an oral presentation. This would cause you to concentrate too much on getting every word right instead of trying to 'connect' with your audience. However, different people may have different methods that suit them best and the methods that I just mentioned are those that had worked well for me.

Finally, I would like to say that it is alright to make mistakes (to err is human right?) as long as we learn from these mistakes. It was really great knowing you and all the best for the exams! Oh, and Happy 21st Birthday! haha. =)

Brandon said...

Hello Joyce, I agree that effective communication is always easier when we are together with likeminded friends who most of the time agree with us, and are most of the time willing to compromise. However, the greatest challenge of effective communication is when there are differences in opinions. Having to put across our own opinions, yet not being too aggressive and tactless about it indeed takes more effort. Recalling our project meetings, I can testify that our group did quite a good job in communicating our views across. This was very evident during our oral presentation rehearsals where we were so open and free with our comments and feedback to each other.

All the best for your coming exams!

Chong Guan said...

Hi Joyce! Like what you and Brandon have mentioned, I would agree that being able to communicate effectively to people, who we are not familiar with or who has differing opinions, takes a lot of practice and effort. This module has definitely taught us how to do so, such as using and interpreting nonverbal communication cues and active listening. I think you have performed very well during the oral presentation and I would have to improve on my presentation skills more. This skill is certainly going to be very useful in our future careers.

It was fantastic having you as my project mate and classmate. All the best to your coming exams! Do keep in touch!

Matthew said...

Hi Joyce,
The oral presentation was indeed quite stressful, engaging and exciting all at the same time. I agree with Shaun that memorizing from a speech is not the most effective method. Maybe writing down key points and building ur speech around these key points is more effective. Also, you can try presenting to a poster with a few faces looking back at you. I think that helped me..Haha. practising with a mirror is definitely effective. Ultimately, practice really helps you feel less nervous.

Anyway, I am sure we have all benifited from this module. I really appreciate learning how to produce my own resume and cover letter too. All the best for your revision!

jiahwa said...

Hi Joyce! Communicating with friends is definitely much easier as most of them understands you well and therefore can even complete your sentence before you do. However, communication becomes trickier when we have to bring across our ideas to people whom we are unfamiliar with. Miscommunication can occur very easily as there may be differing perceptions of the issue.

Just like you, I fear oral presentaion and I still fear it. It is no easy feat to speak in front of others. However, I am sure you have benefitted from the practice that we had in class. You did a pretty good job and was definitely clear in communicating your ideas. However, I guess we both have to work on our body language based on the comments that Ms Kim gave us as individual presenters.

All the best in your future endeavors and Happy 21st Birthday (I know this is a little late though)!

Cheers,
JiaHwa

grace kim said...

Hi Joyce,

Am glad you found this module beneficial and that you see the communication skills learnt as valuable lifelong skills, essential for life.

As for your oral presentation skills, it's good to know you have improved but make sure you don't stay satisfied! Do continue to practise your presentation skills and I'm sure you'll do great.

Thanks for all the hard work and effort put in.

All the best!